A shopping trip is a treat for some—a habit for others. Overall, store cleanliness elevates your customers’ retail experience. First impressions are a reflection of your brand. A clean retail store delights customers—new and old.
Store Cleanliness: Customer’s First Impression
Customers enjoy browsing in a comfortable space. A clean, orderly store tells customers that you want their business. Cleaning a retail store regularly demonstrates that you take pride in other parts of the business too.
Retail Store Cleanliness
Retail store managers should rely on the expertise of commercial cleaning services. It’s the prime resource for the best cleaning tips and for getting a daily checklist for your retail store cleaning needs.
Start with these tips:
De-Clutter Your Store
View your racks and shelves through the eyes of shoppers. Window gazers will pass by the windows of a store that’s untidy and cluttered. When merchandise is nicely displayed, customers don’t have to dig through items to find things items they can’t pass up.
Dusting for Retail Spaces
Dust builds quickly in a retail store, especially on shelves and countertops. Great lighting calls attention to it. Have a cleaning professional dust all areas from top to bottom on a regular basis, including your shelves, racks, and display cases.
Retail Floor & Carpet Cleaning
The floors in your retail store get a lot of foot traffic. Customers will quickly notice things like stained carpets and gummy floors. It’s best to clean floors at least weekly. Clean carpets or strip and wax laminates and other types of flooring at least every six months.
Sparkling Clean Glass & Mirrors
By the end of a busy day, you’ll find lots of fingerprints and dust on mirrors and glass surfaces. Schedule a specific time of every day to clean and sparkling glass items and mirrors to keep them shining bright. Clean glass is the ultimate in store cleanliness.
Check Restrooms at Regular Intervals
Inspect your restroom many times throughout the day, regardless of how busy you are. Untidy restrooms are a real turnoff and they can cost you repeat customers. Clean and sanitize all areas with commercial cleaning products, mop floors, and refill supplies to keep restrooms clean and smelling fresh.Download the checklist
Keep Breakrooms Tidy
Your employees work hard, and they also appreciate spending time in clean spaces when they’re working or taking a break. Take time to dispose of trash, dust, and wipe things down on a regular basis so that employees can focus on their work.
Use disinfecting products to wipe down areas that get touched often like door handles in the fitting rooms and restrooms, and items in the lounging areas. Also, clean the register space and the area behind it.
Daily Cleaning Checklist for Retail Store
If you don’t have a daily retail store cleaning checklist, take some clues from the following sample.
Entrances and Exits
- Clean glass of interior and exterior doors and windows
- Clean and disinfect door handles and knobs
- Clean signs around doorways
- Empty trash inside and outside
- Tidy up exterior grounds—benches, planters, etc.
- Sweep off cobwebs around entryway
- Pick up stray trash on grounds
- Sweep or vacuum entry area and clean doormats
- Dust shelves and straighten up display items
- Vacuum furniture, dust fixtures and décor items
- Wipe down display cases and cabinets
- Clean and de-streak glass surfaces, mirrors, and partitions
- Display merchandise attractively
- Gather misplaced merchandise and return to racks or shelves
- Spot clean stains on carpets, furniture and walls
- Pick up litter
- Wipe down furniture with hard surfaces
- Vacuum, sweep, or mop floors
- Empty trash cans, replace liners
- Dust, clean, and wipe down checkout counters and surrounding areas
- Spray and wipe any glass surfaces
- Clean display case
- Tidy up merchandise displays
- Take out trash
- Empty trash containers, replace liners
- Refill soap, paper towels, toilet paper
- Wipe and disinfect sinks and fixtures
- Unclog drains
- Spray and wipe mirrors and glass
- Scrub backsplash
- Clean and disinfect toilets/urinals
- Clean and disinfect baby changing stations
- Disinfect cabinet fronts
- Sanitize doors and doorknobs
- Sweep and mop floors
- Clean up trash
- Dust and polish ledges, railings, and banisters
- Clean glass
- Sweep, mop or vacuum stairs/landings
- Empty trash cans/replace liners
- Dust shelves/furniture/fixtures
- Clean windows and sills
- Sanitize door handles and knobs
- Dust air vents
- Sweep and mop floors
- Empty trash receptacles
- Clean windows, sills, and glass surfaces
- Wipe down desks, chairs, and tables
- Sanitize telephones, light switches, and door handles
- Declutter the area
- Sweep, mop or vacuum floors
- Vacuum and spot clean soft furniture
- Empty trash
- Clean out spoiled food in the refrigerator
- Unload dishwasher/put away dishes
- Load dishwasher and start
- Disinfect countertops and sinks
- Wipe down outside of cabinets, drawers, and appliances
- Clean microwave inside and out
- Sanitize doors and door handles
- Sweep, mop, or vacuum floors